ATTHE BEACH

CAN YOU THINK OF ANY BETTER PLACE YOU WOULD RATHER BE?

Monday, January 27, 2014

United States Navy

I entered in the Navy when I was seventeen. The year was 1978. After completing boot camp in San Diego I was sent to Orlando Florida for my technical school. I finished first in my class with a gpa of 98.7. My reward for finishing first was I could pick any duty station in the world and I chose Pearl Harbor ,Hawaii. Being someone who loves the sun and the beach , I couldn't think of any better place I  would of wanted to go. I spent a total of four years on the island of Oahu and loved every minute of it. I can still remember the first time I stepped off the plane. The smell of the ocean, the warm tropical breeze blowing on my face and the brilliant green foliage seemed all to surreal to me. As I boarded my ship for the first time, I remember seeing the Arizona memorial from across the harbor. I had seen pictures of the memorial in history books and movies but to see it in person I felt a wave of  emotions overcome me. I was actually standing in the same spot where so many servicemen and women gave there lives in defense of their country. A sense of patriotism swept thru me like never before. I had a sense of responsibility to those that gave their lives before me

No comments:

Post a Comment